Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Intelligent, unique MMA analysis
Predicting MMA fights is a very hit-or-miss activity. Not only are MMA fights characteristically unpredictable, the UFC does a very good job of putting together competitive matches. While I can get a reasonably good idea of how good each individual fighter is, I really don’t know what’s actually going to happen when the fights take place.
But SILVA was good enough to go 12-0 at UFC 134. I need to point out that I picked against SILVA in both Nogueira-Schaub and Nedkov-Cane. Pick against SILVA at your own risk. Even though Cane was out-pointing Nedkov until Nedkov scored the series of strikes that finished Cane, and even though Nogueira winning by KO was really a long shot, both of those fighters were picked to win by SILVA, and win they did.
I also need to point out that SILVA is hardly the first to predict all fights on a UFC card correctly this year. In my tracking of predictions made by various writers online, both Luke Thomas of MMA Nation and Kid Nate of Bloody Elbow have had events in which they didn’t have a single blemish.
But with that having been said, I’m still thrilled at the results here, and it just serves as a reminder that I really should be very cautious before picking against SILVA in any fight.
1. 135 lbs: Yves Jabouin (30.18 SILVA) def. Ian Loveland (22.11) by Decision (Split) (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
2. 145 lbs: Yuri Alcantara (34.42) def. Felipe Arantes (20.27) by Decision (Unanimous) (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
3. 170 lbs: Erick Silva (31.91) def. Luis Ramos (23.77) by KO (Punches), 0:40 round 1
4. 145 lbs: Raphael Assuncao (31.83) def. Johnny Eduardo (28.65) by Decision (Unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
5. 170 lbs: Paulo Thiago (37.78) def. David Mitchell (27.44) by Decision (Unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
6. 185 lbs: Rousimar Palhares (34.28) def. Dan Miller (32.02) by Decision (Unanimous) (29-27, 30-27, 30-25)
7. 155 lbs: Thiago Tavares (29.86) def. Spencer Fisher (29.57) by TKO (Punches), 2:51 round 2
8. 205 lbs: Stanislav Nedkov (32.02) def. Luiz Cane (31.01) by TKO (Punches), 4:20 round 1
9. 265 lbs: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (47.03) def. Brendan Schaub (34.29) by TKO (Punches), 3:09 round 1
10. 155 lbs: Edson Barboza (46.54) def. Ross Pearson (29.57) by Decision (Split) (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
11. 205 lbs: Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (38.41) def. Forrest Griffin (33.98) by TKO (Punches), 1:53 round 1
12. UFC middleweight championship (185 lbs): Anderson Silva (47.05) def. Yushin Okami (31.48) by TKO (Punches), 2:04 round 2