UFC on Fuel TV 9: Gustafsson vs. Mousasi Stats Breakdown
April 1, 2013
Posted by on
I’m writing this post with the knowledge that Alexander Gustafsson could morph into Wanderlei Silva any second now. As of the time of this writing, Gustafsson is still officially in the main event, so I’m going to write accordingly until further notice.
For now, let’s take a look at some interesting and noteworthy statistics regarding the fights this Saturday. All statistics here come straight from Fight Metric.
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Gegard Mousasi
- Gustafsson has only been taken down three times in his MMA career, and has successfully defended 84% of takedown attempts made against him in the UFC.
- By contrast, Mousasi has been taken down a whopping 30 times in 23 fights tracked by Fight Metric.
- Mousasi gets taken down once every five minutes and eight seconds, while Gustafsson only gets taken down once every 19 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Besides “King Mo” Lawal, who landed 66, the most significant strikes anybody has landed against Mousasi is 18, by Keith Jardine (in a fight that was inexplicably ruled a draw).
- Gustafsson has scored five knockdowns in eight UFC fights, and has never been knocked down himself.
Ryan Couture vs. Ross Pearson
- Pearson has landed more significant strikes than his opponent seven times in eight fights; the only man to out-strike him was Cub Swanson.
- Both fighters are very active with strikes; Pearson lands 4.24 significant strikes per minute, while Couture lands 3.68.
- Pearson has yet to attempt a submission in a UFC fight.
- Overall, Couture has landed 50% of his significant strikes, but only landed 29% (44 of 150) in his striking match against K.J. Noons.
- Pearson has successfully defended 80% of takedown attempts made against him, compared to just 59% for Couture.
Phil De Fries vs. Matt Mitrione
- All seven of Mitrione’s professional fights have taken place in the UFC, where he is 5-2.
- In Mitrione’s five wins, his opponents are a combined 6-14 in the UFC. In his two losses, his opponents are a combined 16-8-1.
- In his UFC losses, De Fries has absorbed a whopping 28 significant strikes in just 2:47.
- De Fries has avoided only 39% of the significant strikes thrown at him in the UFC.
- Mitrione has never attempted a takedown in an MMA fight.
Mike Easton vs. Brad Pickett
- Easton has landed 2.8 significant strikes per minute in the first round, and 3.9 significant strikes per minute after the first round.
- Easton landed just 19% of his significant strike attempts against Raphael Assuncao (30 of 155).
- Pickett has absorbed a whopping 4.67 significant strikes per minute in his UFC and WEC career.
- Pickett landed ten takedowns in one fight against Demetrious Johnson, but since then, has only landed seven takedowns in six fights.
- Pickett has only out-struck his opponent twice in his last eight fights.
Diego Brandao vs. Pablo Garza
- Despite Brandao’s reputation as an aggressive fighter, he’s only landed 2.15 significant strikes per minute in the UFC.
- Brandao was out-struck in all three of his UFC fights so far.
- When Brandao fought Darren Elkins, he out-struck Elkins 17-4 in the first round, but was out-struck 32-6 in the second and third rounds.
- Garza has only successfully defended 15% of takedowns attempted against him.
- Garza landed more significant strikes against Mark Hominick (84) than he did against his five previous opponents combined (74).
Stay tuned for more coverage of UFC on Fuel TV 9 later this week!