Quick Thoughts on Bellator and WSOF
November 13, 2014
Posted by on
I was asked to provide my opinion on the upcoming fights in Bellator and World Series of Fighting this weekend. I haven’t done any preparatory work for these events so what I have to say is relatively uninformed. With that said…
- I hate to do it, but I favor Tito Ortiz to beat Stephan Bonnar. If an ancient Mark Coleman could beat Bonnar with takedowns and top control, then so can Ortiz.
- It took Will Brooks the better part of three rounds to really get things going against Michael Chandler in their first fight. I have to think Chandler has learned from that fight and does what it takes to win in the rematch.
- Joe Vedepo is 17-8 and has lost to Eddie Larrea (20-32) and Jason Buck (14-13). So no, he’s not going to beat “King Mo” Lawal.
- Bellator might as well make Melvin Manhoef vs. Joe Schilling a kickboxing rules match. It’s funny that Manhoef, at 29-11-1, is only a -135 favorite against Schilling, whose MMA record stands at 1-3… but we know Manhoef isn’t going to grapple him. I still have to pick Manhoef to win though.
- I will pick any decent fighter to beat Nam Phan, and Mike Richman definitely qualifies.
- David Branch was one of the very early SILVA score favorites on this blog. His career losses are by slam KO to Gerald Harris, by heel hook to Rousimar Palhares, and by decision to Rumble. Branch is better than people think… I’m not picking him, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he upset Yushin Okami.
- I’ve never seen Kalindra Faria fight but I’m much more impressed by Jessica Aguilar’s record. Aguilar has wins over Megumi Fujii, Carla Esparza, etc… so I think she should get the job done.
- Justin Gaethje and Melvin Guillard are both sluggers, but Gaethje is a fighter on the rise and Guillard is a fighter on the decline. The pick has to be Gaethje.
I don’t blame people for being interested in these shows, given how weak UFC 180 is. Outside of Werdum-Hunt and Bermudez-Lamas, Bellator and WSOF are probably going to deliver better entertainment this weekend.